According to the recently released BMO Harris Bank Home Buying Report, 52% of Americans say they are likely to buy a home in the next five years. Americans surveyed for the report said they would be willing to pay an average of $296,000 for a home and would average a 21% down payment. The report also had other interesting revelations.
Those Looking to Buy
- 74% of those looking to buy a new home will consult a real estate agent
- 59% said they will visit online real estate websites
- 37% will seek recommendations from friends and family
- 78% plan to get pre-approved before seriously searching for a home
Those Who Already Own
- 75% of current home owners set a budget before looking for a home. 16% ended up spending less while 13% went over their budget.
- 63% of American homeowners spent under six months looking for a new home before they made a purchase.
- 8% bought their home without participating in an active real estate search – or even any plan to buy at all – because a specific property caught their attention.
The last point is very interesting: Of those that purchased a home, 8% bought “without any plan to buy at all”. A property caught their attention and they acted on it.
Why are More People not Planning their Next Move?
Why are people that are considering a move not putting their home search to a plan, and instead, buying only when a property catches their attention? A recent article byFannie Mae may give us that answer, there is evidence that a large numbers of homeowners are dramatically underestimating the equity they have in their current home. The report explains:
“Homeowners may be underestimating their home equity. In particular, if homeowners believe that large down payments are now required to purchase a home, then widespread, large underestimates of their home equity could be deterring them from applying for mortgages, selling their homes, and buying different homes.”
Perhaps it is time to sit with a real estate professional to determine the actual equity you have in your house and take a look at the opportunities that currently exist in the real estate market. This may be the perfect time to move-up, move-down or buy that vacation home your family has always wanted.
Follow and Share this blog for current real estate news and views for St Petersburg, Sarasota and Tampa Bay.
Call Christina Stramiello at Lifestyle by Design today for your free real estate consultation. No strings, no pressure, just great information.
Visit wwwLifestyleByDesignRealEstate.com to view available homes directly off the MLS. (Faster and more relevant than third-party sites such as Zillow or Trulia.)
By Christina Stramiello, PA
Broker: Robert Slack Fine Homes, LLC
3320 SW 33rd Rd, #100
Ocala, FL 34474